Central to Shek O
You’ll navigate some of the region’s famously-narrow coastal roads before darting into Redhill for a cheeky 2-kilometer detour and on to the picturesque calm of Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir and its one-way traffic system. Ahead of our destination, Cape D’Aguilar awaits as you go 6 kilometers off-route to reach its tip and take in stunning sea views.
The road into Shek O is smooth and draws you along at a nice pace. To your right, high-up views of our route can be seen trailing behind in the distance. In Shek O Village, you’ll find the open-air cafés a welcome sight. The beaches are meters away, and the views out to sea are exceptional.
WATCH THE VIDEO
WATCH THE VIDEO
- From the Central ferry pier area, follow signs to Connaught Road Central.
- After getting onto Queensway Road, turn off right onto Queen’s Road East towards Wan Chai.
- Join Stubbs Road to begin the long climb up out over Happy Valley.
- Continuing up Wong Nai Chung Gap Road, the city falls behind; its densely-packed skyline seemingly disappears among the trees.
- At Repulse Bay Road, the narrow undulating coastal road begins. Buses and cars travel along this stretch of road, so be mindful of passing vehicles.
- After 3.7 kilometers, you drop into Repulse Bay, climbing out again to merge with Stanley Gap Road.
- After 1.6 kilometers, veer right onto Tai Tam Road.
- Reaching Redhill Plaza, dart into Pak Pat Shan Road for a swift circular tour around this colorful residential outpost.
- Exit back onto Tai Tam Road towards Tai Tam Tuk Reservoir. The narrow dam crossing allows traffic to flow in only one direction at a time, so expect a traffic light wait if you miss your turn.
- On the other side, climb for 1.7 kilometers until you reach Shek O Road, where you’ll turn right to continue along much easier gradients.
- Next, a 6-kilometer detour down Cape D’Aguilar Road, where you escape the traffic en route to the headland. You’ll find some exceptional coastal views that make this a worthy detour.
- Retrace the route back up Shek O Road, turning right along the final stretch of road and onto our destination, Shek O Village.
- From Shek O, you can retrace the route with a left turn before Deep Water Bay to finish in Aberdeen. An alternative would be to turn right on Tai Tam road and finish in Shau Kei Wan.